Latest post Wed, Nov 2 2011 1:57 PM by Atomike. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 28 2011 9:27 PM

• mjordan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

MC5 and Color Grading?

I'm a recent convert/refugee from FCP.  I'm gearing up to edit a new XDCAM EX project in MC5.  It was ingested with FCP so the footage is currently wrapped in MOV and so I assume using AMA is the way to go.

I know I'm going to want to do a lot of color grading.  I really fell in love with Apple Color so here's where I need some advice.  What should I do about the color grading?  From what I've seen, the built-in color correction in MC isn't really the right tool for this; I'll need secondaries and vignettes and stuff.  I've done some research about exporting an EDL from MC and importing it to Apple Color.  I tried a few approaches to this, and using the EDL to pull from the source files seemed really unreliable, and using the EDL to notch a rendred file was okay but got really weird when there were transitions.

Sooo, how do you guys color grade?  Is there certain grading software that works exceptionally well with MC?  Should I have perhaps gone with Symphony instead? (In which case ow, my wallet!)  I'd like to hear what you guys, the pros, have to say about this.  Thanks a ton!

(BTW I'm using MC on Windows, but I'm also running Mac OS X so there's not much of an OS constraint here)

Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Oct 28 2011 11:45 PM In reply to

Re: MC5 and Color Grading?

Da Vinci Resolve with the add on MXF plugin? Works on OSX and is supposed to run on Windows in the near future.

There have been a few workflow posts recently especially by Avid's MichaelP

• Sat, Oct 29 2011 12:59 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Welcome to MC from Final Cut!  

I cut national documentaries for PBS - offline and online, including color grading - and entirely within the Media Composer.  80-95% is right in MC's color tools.  The rest is plug-ins as well as the colizing effects that comes free with MC:

1. Vignettes and absolutely any possible on-the-camera lens effects you can think of (from grads to vaseline on the lens) are covered by Tiffen DFX filters (the best $500 I've ever spent, which pays for itself in one day if you're a pro color grader).

2. Avid's own Image/Paint Effect for darkening the occasional spot here and there within the frame; also great for faking a lens blur.  I actually find one new use for the Paine Effect about every two weeks or so.  It's a vital tool.

3. Other things that help which come free in Avid are the Spot Color effect and Scratch Removal -- to get fingerprints off the lens.

4. And of course Boris!  Can't live without BCC!  

Over 17 years doing this 40-90 hours/week.  Made over 200 hours of televised content so far using Media Composers, and used nothing but MC's own color abilities the whole time.  Would that change if I started editing for Michael Bay?  Sure.  But in the meantime, I'll stick with this.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Sat, Oct 29 2011 1:40 AM In reply to

• mjordan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

AndrewAction:
    Da Vinci Resolve with the add on MXF plugin? Works on OSX and is supposed to run on Windows in the near future.

Oh wow!  That's very exciting, I was unaware of the MXF license available for Resolve.  I have been using Resolve Lite since its release and have been really impressed with it.  That's excellent news, thank you!

Pixel Monkey:
    Over 17 years doing this 40-90 hours/week.  Made over 200 hours of televised content so far using Media Composers, and used nothing but MC's own color abilities the whole time.  Would that change if I started editing for Michael Bay?  Sure.  But in the meantime, I'll stick with this.

Thanks a lot for the tips and the insight!  I think I obviously need to play around with the built-in tools more.  Right now I think I'm still in the FCP mindset that I need seperate tools for a good result, but it appears MC is more powerful in this regard.  Off-topic, but as I am a sucker for any PBS documentary, I am likely a huge fan of your work! :D

Thanks again to both of you for your wisdom.

• Sat, Oct 29 2011 2:25 AM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

we use "send to DS", and then finish & grade in that.. DS has had node based CC for nearly a decade now

d

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 30 2011 2:27 AM In reply to

I would say that MC's CC does a great job for basic balance/correction. Much better than what you had with FCP. With the paint effect, you have a kind of a secondary CC, but it's pretty awkward to with.

The best "color grading" addon you can buy, in my opinon, is Magic Bullet Suite. It works really well with avid and isis really powerful and efficient. You can try before buy.

• Mon, Oct 31 2011 10:47 AM In reply to

• Éric Simoneau
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Victoriaville - Québec
    • Posts 224
    • Points 2,630

You can achieve alot within the Avid but sometime, stepping out of it is the way to go. 

I am not aware of your budget and wether you like legal products or not but heres my top3 choices:

Assimilate Scratch, Da Vinci Resolve, IRIDAS' SpeedGrade

The closer you get to the deadline, the more chances things will start to fk up royaly. True story. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 31 2011 2:40 PM In reply to

Nowthat Automatic Dyck is free you can Import your Avid Timelines in to FCP- then open that in Color. 

• Mon, Oct 31 2011 3:20 PM In reply to

• mikela
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 28 2011
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,405

Pixel Monkey:
    1. Vignettes and absolutely any possible on-the-camera lens effects you can think of (from grads to vaseline on the lens) are covered by Tiffen DFX filters (the best $500 I've ever spent, which pays for itself in one day if you're a pro color grader).

that's a good tip. I've been weighing the various plugin suites out there, and it's good to hear someone else at the pro level is using Tiffen DFX. Most shops and colourist I know swear by Genarts Saphire, but I've been using Tiffen on still images (though Photoshop) for years and really like the looks it can generate. I think buy a copy and get it running on our symphony, or maybe I'll wait to see how the whole 64 bit issue resolves itself.

• Mon, Oct 31 2011 4:30 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,755

The "Spot Color Effect" is Avid's built in version of a power window. It has stripped down controls, and not the full toolset of color correction in it, but it does have tracking which is very helpful.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Nov 1 2011 9:39 PM In reply to

• mjordan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Aftersun:
    Assimilate Scratch, Da Vinci Resolve, IRIDAS' SpeedGrade

Thanks for the list of things to look in to!  I really like Da Vinci Resolve, once it comes to Windows I think I'll be using that.

Robert Goodman :
    Nowthat Automatic Dyck is free you can Import your Avid Timelines in to FCP- then open that in Color.

Wow, I had no idea AD was free now.  That REALLY opens up my options, especially since Color is what I'm used to still.  Thanks for letting me know!

• Wed, Nov 2 2011 5:13 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,689
    • Points 66,755

If You still have Color instaklled along with MC You can send a QT ref to it;

a couple of useful links

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/download/index.html

http://blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/?sid=3948&pid=11735&os=mac&leg=0

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Nov 2 2011 6:24 AM In reply to

There is a BCC filter called Correct Selected that does secondary color correction. It's pretty rudimentry, but it does work well enough in quite a few instances.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Nov 2 2011 1:57 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 748
    • Points 11,365

Ask again tomorrow. Wink

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller