Latest post Tue, Oct 11 2011 4:36 PM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 11 2011 3:15 PM

• Moge
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 6 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 75

Need help importing my FCP captured videos into MC

Im making the switch from Final Cut Pro 7 to Avid and I want to import/transcode all my footage libraries to Avids MXF wrapper so I can manage the media. All my footage was captured in FCP as HDV, which was ideal for my needs most of the time since we shoot a lot of training videos with hour on hours of footage. When I transcoded a sample of my HDV into DNxHD 145 the files came out huge and I dont have the space on my raid to transcode into that format. What are my other options? Obviously I dont want to sacrifice playback speed but I cant use the recommended DNxHD 145 for most of my work due to the file size and I dont want to use AMA since I cant use the metadata tools within MC with linked video. Thanks!

Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Oct 11 2011 3:21 PM In reply to

Re: Need help importing my FCP captured videos into MC

Can't you AMA to the original FCP QT HDV files and just work form those?

But if you set the project raster size to 1440 (HDV) rather than 1920 then you should get the HDV transcode option.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Oct 11 2011 4:13 PM In reply to

• Moge
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 6 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 75

Thanks for the response Pat. I changed the format to 1440 and saw the transcode option for HDV MXF when I opened the import setting. This could be what I'm looking for! Out of curiosity, are there any benefits to transcode to AVC-intra or XDCAM-HD for a little more quality, say if I want to color correct? 

• Tue, Oct 11 2011 4:36 PM In reply to

The big downside of the HDV codec is the fixed long GOP and getting out of that makes the process easier (but with bigger files)

at 25mbps HDV is a low datarate but you won't improve the quality by decoding and then re-encoding to something with a higher datarate. Obviously if your render media is limited to HDV then changes in content due to color correction may suffer because of the limited datarate and a higher datarate resolution may improve matters.

I'd probably look at transcoding the final cut sequence to DNX145 and then grade that. Producing a DNX145 QT Same As Source export as the final file.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller