Latest post Tue, Dec 4 2012 10:52 AM by Pat Horridge. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 25 2011 2:51 PM

• nubins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 16 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 270

AMA Link to 5D files with transcode to DNxHD 36 and 175?

I am new to Media Composer coming from Final Cut. I am looking for a good work flow for compressed media like 5D and XDCAM. So basically I want to load in all my original (5D, XDCAM) footage via AMA then transcode that footage to DNxHD 36 for the edit. Then using my final edit sequence switch back to the original footage for transcode to DNxHD 175 with 2 second handles for Online and color correction.

Currently I am working on a Doc with about 100 hrs of footage shot on 5D and XDCAM. We are editing in Media Composer 5.5, color correcting in Davinci, and onlining in DS. We want to offline in DNxHD 36 and then online in DS with 175. I have seen many posts about this work flow but since I do not know MC very well yet I need some guidance.

Is there are step by step tutorial on how to do this in MC 5.5 or can some one give me the steps for this process?

Thanks

• Sun, Sep 25 2011 3:38 PM In reply to

Re: AMA Link to 5D files with transcode to DNxHD 36 and 175?

Yes this is possible. The key to the workflow is organization before offline ingest.

I sent you an email.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 25 2011 11:20 PM In reply to

• nubins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 16 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 270

Thank you for the detailed explination in your email. This work flow will help keep my sanity.

Thanks again.

• Tue, Oct 4 2011 6:11 PM In reply to

• sduranto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 4 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 55

I'm a teacher in editing technics in Villefontaine (France) and we have got a Unity with 8 MC ver3.5, I'd like to receive the process for working with 5D in offline DnxHD 36 and then online ! Thank you !

• Tue, Oct 4 2011 6:13 PM In reply to

If you have v3.5, you can't use AMA for the offline/online workflow that was described above.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Oct 4 2011 6:42 PM In reply to

Unless you upgrade to v5 of the software your workflow choices is limited to tradition Avid Quicktime import.

As a teacher see if you qualify for the education discount - which is substantial.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 5 2011 7:46 PM In reply to

• sduranto
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 4 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 55

OK, then could you give me an exemple of price for 8 updates to v5 with education prices ?

thanks a lot !

Filed under:
  • Wed, Oct 5 2011 7:53 PM In reply to

See this.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Oct 5 2011 8:09 PM In reply to

And this.

• Fri, Oct 7 2011 7:37 PM In reply to

• Holdenw1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 17 2009
    • Posts 57
    • Points 695

Im on a gig right now that is shooting a majority of the footage XDCAM and they shot the show open on 5d so both formats are in there. AMA is really easy and intuitive. Step by step is basic but here ya go:

1. Create bins that correspond to each of your reels. IE The Camera A, Reel 02 footage shot on Oct. 10th should have a bin called 1007_A01, or however you want to name it)

2. Activate your bin, File > Link to AMA volume > Select said reel (The folder just above where the media is)

3. Your clips populate in yellow (meaning they're linked via AMA). Highlight all your clips > Right-Click > Consolidate/Transcode... Then choose DNX36 and select the drive you want to write to and you're rolling

That's literally the ingest workflow I've used for the last 4 shows I've worked on. BUT, more importantly, there's some pitfalls you'll want to watch out for. Here's a couple tips I've learned the hard way:

* Once you've transcoded, DON'T CHANGE THE FILE STRUCTURE OF YOUR SOURCE DRIVE. Meaning, once you've put media on the Unity, keep your master drives as is. This way the file path in the "Volume" heading will always correctly lead you back to your source media.

* Copy the "Volume" Data into a custom column so you always know where the original files live. When you transcode the footage, the DNX media will have your Unity drive in the "Volume" instead of the file path. By copying the file path into the DNX media, you'll always have another reminder about where the source media lives

* Copy the "Name" Data into a custom column as well. When you start logging footage, you will probably change the name of the footage from MVI_1806 to EP#_SCENE#_TAKE#. But you don't want to lose that original file name because your source footage will still be named MVI_1806. Keep that original name is a separate column so you can always quickly match back.

These are just a few tips about ingesting that will make it easier for you when it comes time to Uprez. It's really just about organization. Obviously, the most important thing is that you have clear paths from your offline media to your source. Uprezzing is easy things are organized. When they're not, you spend more time looking for files than doing real work.  

• Tue, Jan 24 2012 4:25 PM In reply to

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 7 2011
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

I want to edit and uprez at the same resolutions mentioned here (DNxHD to 175). I'm using 5D cameras for some projects, and prosumer video cameras for long presentation style shoots that write to ACHVD.

I can get the material in, but I am confused at how to uprez it to DNxHD 175. Do I decompose the same way we did in the days of tape? I would have thought that I could select the sequence, and trancode the sequence up, or export it in a way that relinks it to the higher rez material.

I saw the promax series online receently, but it didn't seem to take into account the uprez with audio issues.

Last question: I'm working with a Macbook Pro 17"and Thunderbolt Raid 5 on Lion with MC 6. Will this be able to handle 1 hour sequnces at the higher rez? I'm exporting to file, not tape, to burn to DVD.

Any suppport or suggestions approciated!

• Tue, Jan 24 2012 8:28 PM In reply to

When your sequence is complete, you open all of your AMA bins and highlight all of the footage clips.  Then relink the sequence to clips "Selected items in ALL open bins."  I'd also leave "Create a new sequence" checked to preserve the links in your old one.

Then, transocde the new, .Relinked sequence with a higher resolution, like DNxHD 175.

Viola!

-- Kevin

• Wed, Jan 25 2012 3:42 AM In reply to

• dugmoore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 7 2011
    • Southeast Asia
    • Posts 145
    • Points 1,520

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

Thank you Kevin!

It sounds like I should do this with the video layers only. Otherwise the audio mixing would be changed. Is this correct?

I'm not in front of the Avid now, so I can't test this until late tonight. It sounds as if I have to uprez all of the AMA files for the project. Is there a way to only uprez the clips in the sequence with 2 second handles? Otherwise I will uprez ALL of the files and loose drive space. Is seems as if the only way to do that is to decompose, but I'm sure there is another way. I'll try your suggestions tonight to see if I can work it out.

Thanks again. I'm just getting my head around the file based work flow. I must say that I love the Avid interface far more than other leading NLEs and the power and versatility of it is very powerful...something that I am regularly conveying to my students.

Also, has anyone worked much with ACHVD media and the Avid? My school is shooting long format material on this and I'm wondering if there are any issues with this as a long format (45 minutes to 1 hour sequences). I thought this was for consumer use only. If I find any issues I'll post them.

Cheers,

Dugmoore

• Wed, Mar 7 2012 9:50 AM In reply to

• mjordan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

dugmoore:
    It sounds as if I have to uprez all of the AMA files for the project. Is there a way to only uprez the clips in the sequence with 2 second handles? Otherwise I will uprez ALL of the files and loose drive space.

I have the same question.  With this AMA/Offline/Online workflow, once I get to the uprez I would like to be able to transcode just the clips in the sequence with handles for grading and finishing.  Is there a way to do this?

• Wed, Mar 7 2012 10:30 AM In reply to

mjordan:
    I would like to be able to transcode just the clips in the sequence
    Isn't that as simple as selecting the sequence and choosing Clip->Transcode?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller