Latest post Fri, Sep 23 2011 6:43 PM by R&B. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 22 2011 3:55 PM

Best upgrade from Xpress DV

As per my other thread on these boards, it looks like I can't make my Xpress DV work with windows 7 64 bit, so I'm looking at getting a new product.

The basic choices are Media Composer and Avid Studio.  To be honest I'm not really excpecting at this point to be cutting a feature film on it (as I did with DV!) but there's a lot of what I'd consider basic stuff I wouldn't want to skimp on.  These include basic frame accurate edits (slip and split with audio), multiple audio tracks and basic effects like EQ.

Does anyone know if Avid Studio is suitable for someone with a Pro background to make modest productions?  Thanks.

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 6:43 PM In reply to

• R&B
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Metro Atlanta
    • Posts 205
    • Points 2,465
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress DV Mac
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac

Re: Best upgrade from Xpress DV

Honestly, if you're doing feature work (however small it might be), I think you'd be happier with Media Composer.  You'd have all the flexibility you'd ever need.  Yeah, it's pricier.  But you get what you pay for.

iMacs, both running OS X 10.7.x Lion. Both have 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 processor w/ 4 GB RAM. Also a 17" MacBook Pro. All these machines are from 2008... [view my complete system specs]

Randy Brown
    President
    Brown Media, Inc.
    www.brownmedia.net
    "Voice Imaging for Radio and TV"

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller