Latest post Sat, Sep 17 2011 6:37 PM by Jon Chappell. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 16 2011 5:27 AM

DVD Solution for Mac

Hello

Please suggest the best workflow for a DVD production. We have Mac stations and AvidMC suites with AvidDVD.

We are recently cutting HDV/1080i, shot with Sony cameras.

Thanks.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Fri, Sep 16 2011 5:53 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Re: DVD Solution for Mac

Bitvice is my preference for DVD encodings on the Mac side, actually one of my main reasons to get me a Mac once upon ..

Where and how do you have Avid Dvd installed, Bootcamp ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Sep 16 2011 5:57 AM In reply to

Thanks, BitVice looks cool. I was thinking of the actual DVDauthoring solution that will work smoothly with AvidMC.

For encoders, I aso use Squeeze that came with the kit, and the good old MPEGstreamclip.

I have not installed AvidDVD yet. Although, I have a virtual WindowsXP running via VirtualBox.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Fri, Sep 16 2011 6:44 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

As you have Avid Dvd on XP I would suggest not using the latest version 6.1.1 , it will work less good with preencoded files than 6.1.

What happens is that the calculator in 6.1.1 is faulty, you will need to have the preencoded files to be only 70 - 75 % to not be reencoded.

As you are investigating workflows now, take a look at TAW 4, cost 60 - 80 dollars and can also create BD projects with Popup menus, runs well under Parallels ...

You have just got my own workflow described ....

edited ...  and about Squeeze, my experience is that it can do everything well with the exception for interlaced Dvd files, Bitvice is the only application I know of that can handle both downscaling of HD to SD and take care of the individual interlaced fields in a nice way, field by field without blending them together

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Sep 17 2011 6:37 PM In reply to

Two Mac-based solutions would be Compressor for $50 (if you're willing to sacrifice some control over the final product) or Adobe Encore. As far as I'm aware, this is bundled with Premiere and is not available for purchase separately.

My software:
    Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
    Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
    More tools...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller