Latest post Fri, Sep 16 2011 11:41 PM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:50 AM

HDV Tape Mastering Process

Hello,

What would be your suggested best practice for recording finished projects back to tape for master? Say, several 5-min projects in one 60m miniDV master tape.

How would you apply leaders/bars,etc...?

Anyone?

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Thu, Sep 15 2011 10:50 AM In reply to

Re: HDV Tape Mastering Process

Ah my pet topic ;-\

My advice would be don't not ever!

HDV is an adequate acquisition format but it relies upon fixed long GOP encoding.

This is totally unsuitable for edited content. You edit points and content changes won't fit the fixed GOP length or the MPEG encoding scheme nearly as well as it did for acquisition.

The end result will be content that will have visible drops in quality and encoding artifacts that snap right a number of frames later.

MiniDV SD (well DVCAM is better) mastering is ok for SD content although again the 5:1 compression will have to further compress your DV source content if you add titles or graphics but generally this won't notice to much.

My advice for a tape based backup of HD content is to leave the HDV format as soon as you can. Work with frame based media (Avid DNxHD is good) and then export as the same and save a file. If you need a tape copy then use a data tape backup solution like LTO.

If you need a smaller file footprint (DNX185 is approx 1.1GB per min of content) then consider 50Mbps MPEG2 encoding which isn't limited to fixed GOP legths.

You can be surer or playing back an LTO tape in 10 years than you could an HDV tape!

And if GOP and mpeg are terms your not familiar with then do some google research as it's important to understand the benefits and issues these encoding technologies have to make the best workflows for them.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, Sep 15 2011 11:04 AM In reply to

tikboy:

Say, several 5-min projects in one 60m miniDV master tape.

How would you apply leaders/bars,etc...?

Make a new master sequence with each 5 minute sequence having its own bars tone and leader.  Space them along the timeline to suit yourself with picture starts for each segment on the minute.

Output the whole sequence to tape.  With a machine controllable HDV deck you can output direct from Avid.

FWIW I would master to HDV tape (for a project whose source tapes were HDV) everytime rather than down converting to DVCAM or DV.

• Fri, Sep 16 2011 1:52 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    With a machine controllable HDV deck you can output direct from Avid.

Did you mean direct-to-timeline playback/record? Does this have have to be one of those professional decks?

Unfortunately, we only have HDV cameras, and the only way I can record to tape is via firewire >> export sequence to HDV/m2t file first, then Output/Export to Device/HDV.

Thanks

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

--

• Fri, Sep 16 2011 2:19 AM In reply to

tikboy:
    I can record to tape is via firewire >> export sequence to HDV/m2t file first, then Output/Export to Device/HDV.
    That is as good as HDV gets. I think the only problems I had was if the audio was not locked then it drifted out of snyc.

• Fri, Sep 16 2011 2:35 AM In reply to

Ok, looks good so far, I'm rolling it now.

We are also discussing our master file options. We are considering taking a plunge to a better (and bigger) file. Currently, we save our masters in M2T file.

What file format/settings would you suggest? We are shooting 1080i/NTSC using SonyHDV cameras.

Thanks!

--

• Fri, Sep 16 2011 3:32 AM In reply to

tikboy:
    What file format/settings would you suggest?
    Sorry I am not an NTSC person.

• Fri, Sep 16 2011 10:34 AM In reply to

tikboy:

Ok, looks good so far, I'm rolling it now.

We are also discussing our master file options. We are considering taking a plunge to a better (and bigger) file. Currently, we save our masters in M2T file.

What file format/settings would you suggest? We are shooting 1080i/NTSC using SonyHDV cameras.

Thanks!

Are you creating frame based media in MC to edit with or coping with the slog of RAW HDV footage?

If you're creating HDxDN media then that's the best export to make as you are not re-compressing it again.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Fri, Sep 16 2011 11:41 PM In reply to

Thanks. Here's my little workflow:

1. Import HDV/M2T clips. I'm assuming it gets written into a proper editing medium.

2. Edit as usual. feels good, looks good.

3. Export to a master file (on discussion), currently via M2T.

4. Batch export to deliverables - mp4/qt/etc...

--

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller