Latest post Tue, Apr 23 2013 2:47 AM by Ready1UR. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 14 2011 9:40 AM

• videastic
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 9 2011
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

Media Composer (5.5.3) and Profire 610 audio output weirdness

Ha! My first post.

For my music I use the firewire M-Audio (Avid) Profire 610 audio card/breakout box. My studio monitors are connected to the Profire output. This all works great with any DAW or audio-based application (iTunes, Spotify etc). It seems logical that I can use the same setup with Media Composer (5.5.3). Problem is, it doesn't work well at all.

Sure I can get audio to the Profire but then everything goes haywire. Within the Profire itself (it comes with DSP mixing software) software return channels 1 and 2 (automatically) routed to the Master are working ok, the incoming audio seems at the right level and I can control the audio output to my (active) monitors. Channels 9 and 10 though are in constant overload, nothing seems to stop this, muting channels, lowering faders, it has no effect. It just sits there overloading constantly. It seems there is a conflict with s/pdif and the normal output. Thankfully it doesn't (seem to) influence the Master-output signal but this can't be good (overloading signals never are). 

Within Media Composer the audio tool gets crazy. It does see the 8 audio channels of the Profire (although not 9 and 10 which are the s/pdif channels). The output is set to stereo, so it should only use channels 1 and 2. But this is not what happens, when playing media it shows levels at channels 2, 4 and 8 and channel 6 is constantly overloading. Weird no?

In Media Composer I can select a dedicated input device but I can't select a dedicated output device. It selects an output device (I am sorry to say) automatically, based on the system output settings. Although it should be simple connecting 2 products of the same company, it isn't. Maybe anybody knows how this can be solved? It would be much appreciated!!

I did find a workaround (I don't like workarounds). I can set (automatically when internal speakers are selected as output) Media Composer to use the normal Macbook Pro output and then reroute the signal with Soundflower to the Profire. This seems to work ok with minimal latency but I shouldn't have to 'fix' something that shouldn't be broken. Hard and software from the same company should be compatible, shouln't it?

Pepijn.

• Wed, Sep 14 2011 4:10 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,173
    • Points 23,315

Re: Media Composer (5.5.3) and Profire 610 audio output weirdness

first welcome to the forums  second the pro fire is a product that is from a m audio a company avid owns and is not an avid certified sound card  .. that being said  it will work only as a stereo  output  with asio drivers  all the functions that you use  the box with are not available to you on an avid sorry ... I am using a delta 1010 with the same restrictions  but I am able to choose between stereo pairs  ie:1/2   3/4   5/6   7/8  spidif L/R hope this helps

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Wed, Sep 14 2011 5:22 PM In reply to

• videastic
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I assume that you're referring to the ProFireSeries_OSX_2.3.2.dmg software that comes with the unit. I am not sure if this is an (the) asio driver. If not, do you know where I can find a Profire 610 firewire asio driver? I didn't find anything by googling these parameters. 

Thanks!

• Thu, Sep 15 2011 8:17 AM In reply to

• videastic
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 160

Ok... I am slowly getting a grip on what's going on. Tom is right, the Profire isn't a Media Composer certified audio card. It seems that Media Composer handles its audio different from other audiobased applications. This to keep the audio sync with the video. Also the overloading channel is the s/pdif channel being fed with the wrong signal. Media Composer doesn't recognize it as a s/pdif channel. I am not 100% sure but I think the provided driver is already an asio driver. 

So, like Tom said I can select different output pairs but not the separate s/pdif channel as an s/pdif channel. The audio tool doesn't operate though, either levels are all over the place or none existent. The Soundflower option does the trick but it seems it has a little latency.

Bummer that this is so incompatible.

• Thu, Sep 15 2011 5:08 PM In reply to

• Tank289
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 11 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

Same problem here with digi 192 and pro tools HD2 on mac pro.  Channels output 5-6-7-8  of the 192 are steadily clipping when play audio in MC. 

• Tue, Apr 23 2013 2:47 AM In reply to

• Ready1UR
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 7 2012
    • Posts 10
    • Points 135

Hey there,

Like the original poster, I have tried to use the Profire 610 with Avid.  In my case I'm using Avid Symphony 6.0.3 on Win7Pro64. 

Avid of course owns M-Audio now and has for some time.  You would think they would create a driver that would allow us to use the Profire 610 with the newest versions of Avid software.  At least that's what I thought when I purchased the 610. 

The sales rep at Sweetwater I spoke to also assumed the 610 would work with Symphony and told me so.

For anyone connected to the product managers at Avid, please put in an urgent request to make a new driver so that Profire 610 works with Avid Symphony 6 and up. Users like me would love to use the Profire 610 for surround sound features of Symphony.

Consider that the 610 works with Sony Vegas Pro including the 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound features of that program, but not Avid Software?  And Avid is the parent company of M-Audio?  That's pretty ridiculous when you think about it.  Isn't there anyone whose job it is to work on compatibility of the product lines? 

Intuitively, I think it makes sense that these products are owned by the same company and should work together without a problem.

I'm sure I represent thousands of like minded users who would love to see these items working together especially for the 5.1 and 7.1 surround.

Thanks,
    Michael

HP z620, NVidia M4000, Dual 3.3 Processors, 96 Gig Memory, Avid Symphony SSDs for OS and Video playback [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller