Latest post Sun, Sep 11 2011 12:30 AM by jwrl. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 8 2011 5:02 AM

• Dynamic7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 10 2009
    • Posts 205
    • Points 2,950

external hard drives

I have an extra external hard drive that I would like to connect to avid media composer , this means that I am now going to have two (2) external drives on the system . How would I go about setting up and connetcting this drive to avid MC ?

• Thu, Sep 8 2011 5:13 AM In reply to

Re: external hard drives

"... How would I go about setting up and connetcting this drive to avid MC? ..."

Hard to say without a description of the existing drive & the new drive, and their connection options, and also your PC and it's connection options.

Meanwhile, eSATA or Firewire are your fastet options.  USB 2.0 isn't typically fast enough for editing.  USB 3.0 is fairly new, and somewhat unknown as far as editing performance goes.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Sep 8 2011 5:14 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

e-sata , fw or usb ( 2 or 3 )  ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Sep 8 2011 2:22 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:

I use eSATA with my external drives. They work very well also with AMA linked clips. The bottom line is that  eSATA speed is similar to the speed of internal SATA connection.

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO Processor: 2.67 GHz Intel Core i7 920 Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 RAM: 12G OS: Win 7 Pro) MC 6.03 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Sep 8 2011 3:07 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:

e-sata comes in 2 flavours fast and even faster. FW in two as well FW400 or FW800

USB 1 isn't much use for anything media wise. USB 2 is ok but USB is demanding of the CPU so has an overhead. USB 3 is pretty fast and in theory faster than e-sata of FW but you need a drive array that can deliver to the bus speed.

So a USB 3 pocket drive won't be as fast as it could due to the limt of the actual slow internal drive.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, Sep 10 2011 12:44 PM In reply to

• Dynamic7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 10 2009
    • Posts 205
    • Points 2,950

In Final Cut pro 7 there is the ability to connect  up to almost 12 external hard drives to the system which gives the ability to also and edit \ transfer files among  each external drive  etc ,etc. But they must be hooked up through System settings etc,etc.

Questions  are  : (1) Is there the ability to hook up more than one external hard drive to media composer  ( just like in FCP 7 )

(2) How would I go about setting this function up in avid ?

• Sat, Sep 10 2011 12:59 PM In reply to

• Brian Suttie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 917
    • Points 11,570

Yes you can easily use multiple external hard drives.

As long as the drives are recognised by Windows and have a valid drive letter they should be accessible by Avid.  So you can use as many drives as you have drive letters available.

You don't need to do anything in Avid, as soon as you choose to digitise, render or import anything it will create an Avid MediaFiles folder in the root of the drive.

You can choose which drive is used for what in the "Media Creation" settings.

Bear in mind that video files can be quite large so use a file system like NTFS rather than FAT32.

regards

Brian

"We'll fix it in post"
    "This is post"
    "aaaahh"

• Sat, Sep 10 2011 2:23 PM In reply to

Dynamic7:
    In Final Cut pro 7 there is the ability to connect  up to almost 12 external hard drives to the system

That functionality is not the "ability" of FCP, it's the OS that determines hard drive access.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Sep 11 2011 12:30 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,411
    • Points 97,300

Dynamic7:
    In Final Cut pro 7 there is the ability to connect  up to almost 12 external hard drives to the system
    Kenton.VanNatten:
    That functionality is not the "ability" of FCP, it's the OS that determines hard drive access.
    Kenton's right.  If you were running Avid on your Mac, it would have offered exactly the same external drive capabilities as FCP.

I don't know that there's a limit of just 12 external drives on a Mac though.  I'd be very surprised if that were really the case.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller