Latest post Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:26 PM by jef. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 5 2011 8:47 AM

• gregNZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 23 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Will my iMac do the job?

Hello there,

I just upgraded to a iMac 27" (16GB DDR3, 3.1 GHz), external firewire drives and MC 5.5.2 software only. I'm quite happy, it's fast and for the size and amount of jobs we were doing so far it's perfect. But we now signed up for a bigger job, 8 min TV episodes every week (HD) over a period of 6 months on top of the usual jobs. I'm now asking myself if my iMac is capable of handling this? I need a fast responding solid system and a good backup solution as I will end up with tons of footage which has to stay in the system for the time of the entire project. Plus I'm not a huge fan of AMA, had a couple of issues in the past. What are your thoughts, hopeless or doable? I know a MacPro with Adrenaline would be much better but I was hoping the equipment I got now may be powerful enough? What kind of raids should I go for? 

Thanks so much for your help and input!!!!

Specs: MC 5.5.2, iMac 27", 16GB DDR3, OSX 10.6.8, 3.1 GHz Intel

• Mon, Sep 5 2011 2:35 PM In reply to

• Andrew McKee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 27 2011
    • Manchester, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Points 1,475
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Will my iMac do the job?

I would say the biggest hurdle you are facing would be the firewire port. Without eSata (or thunderbolt and an adapter) transfering data is going to be time consuming. Rendering out (if you are doing effects/cc/digital delivery) will also eat into your time. In terms of a being reliable, an iMac isn't necessarily going to be less reliable than a MacPro so long as you take proper care of it and don't overload it with apps so I would suggest that all you need to consider is weather the processor and the drive interface will be fast enough to get through that much work. I know that has been my biggest problem when taking on big projects with iMacs or MBPs.

iMac 3.4Ghz i7 16GB Ram 10.8.0, MBP 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB Ram 10.8.0 [view my complete system specs]

Andrew McKee

Editor/Colourist

Avid Certified Instructor - MC6

Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX

• Mon, Sep 5 2011 7:34 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,693
    • Points 44,425

Don't know if this would work or even be advised:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/iMac_2010_27

Having an eSata port would expand your storage options greatly.  I do NOT have any experience with this device.  Just passing along some info.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:10 PM In reply to

• gregNZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 23 2010
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Hi, appreciate your input! So you're saying there is an adapter from thunderbolt to esata? When do they start shipping thunderbolt drives/raids, wouldn't that make more sense? Thanks 

Specs: MC 5.5.3, iMac 27", 16GB DDR3, OSX 10.6.8, 3.1 GHz Intel

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Sep 5 2011 10:26 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,693
    • Points 44,425

No. Sorry - I think I have confused the issue. I did not realize your iMac had thunderbolt. I just saw firewire ...

Here is all I can offer about Thunderbolt:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt/index.html

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller